Table of Contents
Good writing #
A window onto the world #
Classic writing, with its assumption of equality between writer and reader, makes the reader feel like a genius. Bad writing makes the reader feel like a dunce.
Another bad habit of self-conscious writing is the prissy use of quotation marks—someimtes called shudder quotes or scare quotes—to distance the writer from a common idiom:
... But this is not the "take home message." ...
... The authors seem to be saying, "I couldn't think of a more dignified way of putting this, but please don't think I'm a flibbertigibbet who talks this way; I really am a serious scholar."
Incoming Links #
Related Articles (Article 0) #
Suggested Pages #
- 0.932 Modularity
- 0.020 The Blank Slate
- 0.019 Community resolution limit
- 0.008 Bipartite community structure
- 0.008 Local community detection
- 0.007 Graph visualization
- 0.003 Animal social network
- 0.001 Community structure
- 0.001 Modularity (networks)
- 0.001 Modular structure of brain
- More suggestions...