Something that can be spread. Infectious diseases, information, innovation, etc.
There can be many types of contagions. Many diseases requires only one contact (simple contagion). However many behaviors require multiple exposure, or social affirmation (social contagion).
Check out Jonah Berger's research on the 'virality' of contagions.
Voting behavior is contagious[^1].
Table of Contents
Talks and lectures #
- Spread of Social Information and Dynamics of Social Transmission within Drosophila Groups
- Modeling the Adoption of Innovations in the Presence of Geographic and Media Influences
- Structural diversity in social contagion
- What Makes Online Content Viral?
- The Ripple Effect: Emotional Contagion and its Influence on Group Behavior
- Detecting Emotional Contagion in Massive Social Networks
- The Social Contagion of Generosity
Statistical test #
[^1]: Nickerson, David W. (2008). "Is Voting Contagious? Evidence from Two Field Experiments". American Political Science Review 102 (01). doi:10.1017/S0003055408080039. ISSN 0003-0554.